The For the People Act (S. 1, H.R. 1) is a critical reform package to get dark money out of politics, stop billionaires from buying elections, crack down on corruption, end partisan gerrymandering, protect the freedom to vote and ensure elections are safe, accurate, and accessible.
The For the People Act is essential to restoring the public’s faith in our democratic institutions and ensuring everyone’s voice and vote is heard, counted, and protected. These common sense reforms will restore our democracy and benefit all Americans, whether you voted for Joe Biden or Donald Trump. By giving everyone a voice, we will be able to make progress on big issues, like health care and prescription drug costs and building an economy that works for everyone. That’s why the For the People Act is popular with 83 percent of Americans across the country, including three quarters of Republicans.
We can deliver on our founders’ promise of a democracy of, by, and for the people by having the Senate swiftly pass this legislation so that President Biden can sign it into law.
The For the People Act would give power to the people and stop billionaires from buying elections by limiting the outsized influence of big and dark money in politics.
- H.R. 1/S.1 would bring dark money into the light by requiring political groups to disclose their largest donors and adding transparency rules for online political ad spending.
- H.R. 1/S. 1 would create a small-donor matching program to open up our political system to more diverse voices and reduce the power of big money donors in our elections and the policymaking process. It is funded entirely by a small fee on corporate lawbreakers and wealthy tax cheats and wouldn’t cost taxpayers a dime.
- H.R. 1/S. 1 would close campaign finance loopholes and ensure the Federal Election Commission can do its job to uphold our laws and hold violators accountable.
The For the People Act would prevent barriers to voting from being erected and protect all Americans’ freedom to vote equally
- Many of the voting provisions in the bill are drawn directly from the late Rep. John Lewis’ Voter Empowerment Act, including automatic, online, and same-day voter registration options.
- H.R. 1/S. 1 would ensure Americans in all 50 states have equal access to early voting and vote-by-mail options.
- H.R. 1/S. 1 would modernize our voting system to prevent hacking and foerign interference, and would provide election administrators with key funding.
- H.R. 1/S. 1 would prohibit voter suppression tactics such as voter purging and caging that are often wrongly used to take eligible voters off the rolls.
- H.R. 1/S. 1 would put an end to partisan gerrymandering by requiring states to create independent redistricting commissions to ensure voters pick their politicians, and not the other way around.
The For the People Act would restore faith in government by holding self-serving politicians accountable
- H.R. 1/S. 1 would require more stringent conflict-of-interest rules for members of Congress and executive branch officials.
- H.R. 1/S. 1 would reduce the power of lobbyists by slowing down the revolving door between public service and the influence industry, requiring a 2-year “cooling off” period for senior administration officials before they can lobby their former colleagues.
- H.R. 1/S. 1 would close loopholes that allow foreign governments to influence policy in secret.
The For the People Act is critical to getting our democracy back on track and finally delivering on our founders’ promise of a democracy of, by, and for the people. And we need your help to get it signed into law. Click here to contact your member of Congress and tell them to support it.