Two years ago, every House Democrat supported, and every Senate Democrat cosponsored the most comprehensive package of democracy reforms since Watergate.
The For the People Act (H.R. 1) delivered on a promise to the American people to take on political corruption and reform our voting systems to ensure every voice is heard and counted. Unfortunately, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell condemned H.R. 1 to his legislative graveyard.
Submit a letter to the editor today to highlight the importance of the For the People Act and why your Senators need to support this critical piece of legislation.
- Find your local newspaper’s Letters to the Editor submission email or submission form on their website.
- Be sure to check that you are obeying your newspaper’s word limit, sometimes it’s as low as 150–200 words.
- Write your letter!
- Paste your letter into the body of your email or into the submission form on your newspaper’s website.
- Note that many newspapers will require that letter writers submit contact information with their letter. Phone numbers won’t be published. This is just to verify your identity.
- Submit to smaller local papers, not just the nearest big city paper. You’ll have a better chance of getting published. And, it maximizes that feeling that the whole district is paying attention!
Below are some important talking points you can use in your letter :
- I am writing to urge Senator [X] to make the For the People Act the top priority.
- The For the People Act is common sense legislation that would strengthen our democracy by protecting the right to vote, removing the influence of big money in politics, and cleaning up corruption in Washington.
- At a time when our country is more divided than ever, we need this type of foundational change to break the gridlock, make progress, and save lives.
- Securing the Right to Vote
- The For the People Act would address many of the challenges voters experienced in the 2020 election by ensuring that everyone can cast their ballot safely, conveniently, and securely in the future.
- H.R. 1 would eliminate unnecessary barriers to voter registration and boost participation, while setting standardized guidelines for absentee voting, requiring each state to have adequate periods of safe early voting, ensuring no voter faces discrimination, modernizing the voter registration process, and providing states the funding and equipment they need to administer and protect our elections.
- Getting Big Money out of Politics and Cleaning up Corruption
- H.R. 1 would end the dominance of big money and put a stop to the pay-for-play politics by shining a light on dark money, empowering small donors, strengthening campaign finance oversight, fortifying ethics laws, and closing loopholes for lobbyists and foreign agents.
- Afraid of special interests and losing his campaign donors, Mitch McConnell blocked action on the For the People Act and hundreds of bills that Democrats and Republicans supported.
- Special interests have controlled Washington for far too long and it is time we sever the cord by passing and signing H.R.1 into law so that everyone’s voice can be heard.
- Please Senator [X], vote for this vital legislation.