The For the People Act (S. 1, H.R. 1) would protect the freedom to vote, stop billionaires from buying elections, and crack down on corruption. It has already passed the House and now we need the Senate to take action.
Submit a letter to the editor today to highlight the importance of the For the People Act and why your Senators need to do whatever it takes to pass this critical piece of legislation
- Find your local newspaper’s Letters to the Editor submission email or submission form on their website.
- Be sure to check that you are obeying your newspaper’s word limit, sometimes it’s as low as 150–200 words.
- Write your letter!
- Paste your letter into the body of your email or into the submission form on your newspaper’s website.
- Note that many newspapers will require that letter writers submit contact information with their letter. Phone numbers won’t be published. This is just to verify your identity.
- Submit to smaller local papers, not just the nearest big city paper. You’ll have a better chance of getting published. And, it maximizes that feeling that the whole district is paying attention!
Below are some important talking points you can use in your letter :
- Republicans’ decision to block a bipartisan independent commission to investigate the attack on the Capitol makes clear they are more concerned about their own self-interest than our democracy. Americans deserve a full accounting of what happened on January 6th — and then we need to pass the For the People Act to protect our democracy for the long term. Republicans don’t want to investigate what happened on January 6th and they don’t want to pass legislation to protect the freedom to vote because they’re afraid of transparency and accountability. That’s why Senate Democrats must do whatever it takes to pass the For the People Act and get it signed into law.
- The For the People Act would give power to the people by protecting the freedom to vote, stopping billionaires from buying elections, and limiting the influence of dark money in elections.
- At a time when our country is more divided than ever, we need this type of foundational change to break the gridlock, make progress, and save lives.
- Securing the Right to Vote
- The For the People Act would address many of the challenges voters experienced in the 2020 election by ensuring that everyone can cast their ballot safely, conveniently, and securely in the future.
- H.R. 1 fights back against state-level efforts attacking the freedom to vote.
- It would set common national standards for election processes to ensure Americans in all 50 states have equal access to early voting and vote-by-mail options.
- H.R. 1/S. 1 would put an end to partisan gerrymandering by requiring states to create independent redistricting commissions to ensure voters pick their politicians, and not the other way around.
- Getting Big Money out of Politics and Cleaning up Corruption
- H.R. 1 would end the dominance of big money and put a stop to the pay-for-play politics by shining a light on dark money, empowering small donors, strengthening campaign finance oversight, fortifying ethics laws, and reducing the power of lobbyists.
- Special interests have blocked progress on critical issues for far too long and it is time we sever the cord by passing and signing H.R.1 into law so that everyone’s voice can be heard.